Bridget Jones on "Being a Woman"

Briget Jones Diary is one of my favourite books of all times. I must have read it like a thousand times already. 

There is this passage in the book where Bridget is frantically getting ready for her first date with Daniel, this is what she had to say:

"Completely exhausted by entire day of date-preparation. Being a woman is worse than being a farmer there is so much harvesting and crop spraying to be done: legs to be waxed, underarms shaved, eyebrows plucked, feet pumiced, skin exfoliated and moisturized, spots cleansed, roots dyed, eyelashes tinted, nails filed, cellulite massaged, stomach muscles exercised. The whole performance is so highly tuned you only need to neglect it for a few days for the whole thing to go to seed.

Sometimes I wonder what I would be like if left to revert to nature — with a full beard and handlebar moustache on each shin, Dennis Healey eyebrows, face a graveyard of dead skin cells, spots erupting, long curly fingernails like Struwelpeter, blind as bat and stupid runt of species as no contact lenses, flabby body flobbering around.

Ugh, ugh. Is it any wonder girls have no confidence?"

Comments

  1. I have never read this book...but believe me..you have tempted me enuff to get hold of the first copy in sight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have seen the movie and i so loved it..I think we all girls like being exhausted and doing everything what we can to make our self look presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi,
    this is gunmeen from mumbai....i know this is a little out of context but can you please give me the full address of the place where khadi products are available....i'm very keen to try them out.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hvnt read the book but I love the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved dis post..m gettng a copy too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the movie and always hesitated to buy the book. But you've tempted me enough to pick the next copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have read it n loved it :)
    btw tanveer can you post some swatches of jordana glosses u bought as i hv finally located jordana in delhi!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I downloaded both movies n saw dem..:p
    wer awesum...thanks for this post..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, being a woman can be fun AND tiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book was a fun read but read it like eons back, and remember the movie being disappointing. Renee Zellwegger got on my nerves with her accent and her OTT acting...But identify with what fielding said women have to go through - men just have to don clothes & shoes, spray on a good perfume and they are ready to go, not fair at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha...seen the movies but haven't read the book. I want to now hehe...

    ♥xx♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey! Thank you for taking the time out to add your valuable comment. I will revert as soon as possible.

COMMENT MODERATION POLICY FOR ADDICTED TO BLUSH BLOG

I delete blatant self-promotion and comments where it is clear the post material was not carefully read. If you are not going to bother to engage with the post, I am not going to bother posting your comment.

I also delete ALL comments with links - even if the link is to your blog.

Don't be mean to other commentators - it serves no purpose other than showcase your own personality in a bad light.

Popular Posts